dbrick in the cut

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Breakfast

Among the many things I miss back home are my turntables and records. I could sit for hours browsing through my vinyl. When I miss them most is on weekend mornings. I can't tell you how much I love waking up on a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning, dropping the needle on something like Earth Wind & Fire's 'That's the Way of the World', and cooking a huge breakfast with eggs, potatoes, toast, fresh fruit, and a tall glass of orange juice. Pancakes are optional but always welcomed. Of course, spending this time with family and friends makes it all the more special.

Some people like to go out for breakfast and wait an hour in line to eat a not-so-creative version of scrambled eggs and potatoes. That's fine and it has its place, but I prefer sitting at home with the window shades open, my pjs and glasses still on, and my own music and food that is sure to delight.

Breakfast doesn't really exist in Korea. People tell me they eat rice, but the western eggs and toast just aren't part of the routine here. It's too bad. They're missing out. Sure, a lot of people have adopted western culinary ideas and cook breakfast, but it just doesn't seem to be the same as back home.

Even though I don't have my records here, I have managed to start DJing at a club. I had been trying to get in this place for the past few months and finally got the call up to the big leagues. I DJed this last Saturday, and, I'm proud to say, I tore it up. I was more nervous than I'd been in a long time before the start and even made some rookie mistakes in my first two songs. Things like wondering why I couldn't hear out of the headphones and finding out they weren't plugged in. But after a rocky beginning, I quickly lured a few people on the dance floor with the funk. By the end of my set, more people were dancing than sitting, and some of those that weren't on the dance floor were still rocking in their seats. Spending the last couple months downloading a lot of the music I have on vinyl but not on cd paid off huge and should get me another gig soon.

Rotation?

That's the Way of the World- Earth Wind & Fire This song came on my itunes when I started writing and inspired me to write about breakfast. I was only going to write about the DJ thing when I start. It may be the best tune ever on a Sunday morning.

A Deeper Shade of Soul- Ray Barretto Just a nice tune with a great feel. I don't know what to call it, but I love the collective chorus sung in a lot of latin grooves. Urban Dance Squad sampled this tune on their early nineties hit of the same name.

Liego La Banda- The Spanish Harlem Orchestra I never really got too into salsa, but this tune and the album it comes from, Un Gran Dia En El Barrio, is full of great energy that makes me want to get back to SF for Sundays at El Rio. I never went, but always heard it was fun.

Only So Much Oil in the Ground- Tower of Power 'There is only so much oil in the ground. Sooner or later there won't be much around. Tell that to your kids when they're driving 'round downtown, that's there's only so much oil in the ground.' Written about thirty years ago, I think it's still a very appropriate song today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home