dbrick in the cut

Friday, March 10, 2006

Subway Encounter

Some people say it's a small world, but it's also a weird and freaky world too. I always thought, and still think, that I'd run into a random person from my past here in Seoul. I thought my big moment came the other night. I was on the subway talking with a friend when a Korean looking fellow interrupted me mid-conversation. I'm always surprised when I hear an American accent out of a Korean's mouth here; I'm not used to talking with Korean-Americans. He said, "Let me guess. Kansas City, Missouri?" Stunned, I asked him if I knew him, but got a negative reply. I told him I was actually from the Kansas side of the city, but he was very close. He told me I just sound like I'm from KC, MO. He's from Seattle. Do I really sound like I'm from Kansas City? From what I've heard, I tend to have a more of a twang in my voice than most Kansas Citians. My only rational explanations for this strange and short encounter are that he is either a linguist or works for the CIA and is tracking me because of my blog in which I called Babs Bush a cunt. I had to get off the subway before I had a chance to find out his business. The only other time I was this amazed was when some freaky girl came up to me at a New Years party and said, "you're a Scorpio, right." Apparently, I have a force field around me that gives away my sign.

I'm going to add a new section to each blog that may get me to write a little more. Music has always been a huge motivator and passion in my life, so I'm going to start listing the tracks that are in heavy rotation in my place. You'll notice that the smooth grooves have been dominating my listening lately. It could be because of the Korean influence or just because I like silky, soulfully cheesy music.

What You Won't Do For Love- Roy Ayers I like the Bobby Caldwell version too, but Roy adds a special something that makes it extra smooth. He abandons the horn riff that made Caldwell's version so popular and it makes Roy's a whole new song.

Here We Go- Minnie Riperton A nice one featuring Peabo Bryson in the duet. I've gotten more into Riperton's stuff lately and am able to look past her signature high note in every song to appreciate the excellent song writing and musicianship that anchors her music.

This Journey In- The Rebirth One of the best new bands I've heard in a long time dishing out nice helpings of chilled out funk. This title track to their album of the same name is a real killer.

Remind Me- Patrice Rushen I just can't get over how nice the separate vocal parts blend together at the end of the song. A beautiful tune with a classy solo on the Rhodes in which Patrice shows why she was and still is one of the baddest women in the business.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Dave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home