dbrick in the cut

Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Long One to End the Year

As the year comes to an end, it's time to reflect on what we've seen in the past year. Hurricanes, a tsunami, and an earthquake have brought devastation to countless people across the globe. I can't recall in my short lifetime more natural disasters of this magnitude in one year. I'm not one to speculate about metaphysical influences on these things, but I'm sure plenty of people have their theories about God's anger or Mother Nature's wrath. While these ideas are kind of crazy to me, I do think it's a good idea to continue to question the way we are living. From the environmental standpoint, living outside of the states has provided an interesting perspective on waste, pollution, and conservation systems. Korea, in some places, is pretty efficient about managing waste. I'm always impressed when I am given an option to separate my trash into separate compost, paper, plastic, and metal containers. While that is an excellent step taken towards reducing the wrong waste going to the wrong place, this country can still be filthy. The smog, for example, can be suffocating at times. Also, there is trash everywhere despite the efficient system I mentioned before. The problem is that one can only find such a system inside. You will have just as much success finding a trash bin on the street as the United States has finding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Someone explained this to me once, but I cannot remember why they don't have waste containers on the streets.

I rarely see well developed systems in the states for separating garbage, and if there is a system in place, no one uses it. I had a separate compost bin at my place in San Francisco, but never used it. It's not because I don't care; I just didn't have the energy or motivation to separate everything. Had there been a law that would fine me for not separating my waste, I probably would have made that special effort to do so. Sure, this is just a small thing that could help reduce over-stuffing landfills and help create more soil, but every bit counts.

There are countless other ways to help reduce waste that would not hurt too much. How about cutting down on excess packaging? Because we are so concerned with the presentation of our material goods, we like to wrap them in ridiculous bags and boxes that serve no purpose. Think about this the next time you're opening something. Even restaurants do it. Every time I went to get two tacos at Pancho Villa in the Mission, they would wrap them in foil. Then they would put them in a styrofoam container, then a paper bag, then a plastic bag around the paper bag. Oh yeah, the chips were in a different paper bag inside the other bigger paper bag. If that doesn't spell out excess, I don't know what does. How can we stop this? I don't know. All I'm here to do is complain about it and let my apathy keep me from actually making a difference.

I'm happy to see that Americans are starting to get over their own apathy and are starting to seriously question the judgment and actions of possibly the worst leader to ever occupy the White House. His actions are, no doubt, something that an all mighty being could use as reason for destruction and punishment. I am, however, a little disappointed that all of this is coming after we had a chance to get rid of him just a year ago. In the interest of my ability to come back to the States, I'll refrain from saying any incriminating comments that might suggest I'm involved with any terrorists. I do think the idea of sacrificing our freedoms to maintain freedom is kind of funny though. If we need to live in a fascist dictatorship to maintain freedom, by golly, let's do it!

Personally, I've been doing pretty, pretty good. I'm a month away from being halfway though a year contract here in Korea. I've been here five months, but I feel like it's been a decade. It's not that I'm not enjoying myself; so much has happened since I left the states that it seems like a lifetime ago. This next month is going to be especially strenuous because I'm teaching two intensive classes from 9:30 to 12:30 in the morning. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'll be working till 9:30 at night. I didn't envision working 12 hour days when I came over here, but it's only a month and I get plenty of long breaks throughout the day. Plus, one of the intensive classes is essay writing and I won't share it with a Korean teacher. This is a great opportunity to develop my own curriculum and teaching style. I'm excited about that. I also get paid overtime for the intensives.

Well, tonight I will grace the stage at club Funky Funky with my band The Waking Party. I've asked to dj tonight as well, but the manager isn't sure about playing funk music at the club. Does that confuse anyone else? No funk music at Funky Funky? This place has the remarkable ability to not make any sense...

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home