dbrick in the cut

Monday, December 12, 2005

Crackers Singing Christmas Songs

If I was called a "cracker teacher" in Oakland, it would take on a whole new meaning than here in Seoul. We were studying snack food in one of my classes today when they labeled me the only "cracker" in the classroom. I would love to take one of these kids to the States and let them follow me around while making comments about daily language. The poo-poo jokes and bad words just sound so much better when they come out of their mouths because they don't always realize the significance of what they say.

I played yet another gig at club Funky Funky this last weekend. I think I have another coming up this weekend which will make it three Fridays in a row and something like five out of the last six weekends. I'm all up for playing music whenever possible, but playing the same club every weekend and doing the same tunes is getting really monotonous. Playing for the same people every week tends to accentuate the monotony as well. I guess this is a sign that I shouldn't pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a lounge musician in Vegas, at least as a drummer. I'm still brushing up my singing skills at the noraebang and could be performing "Scarborough Fair" in the Bellagio as soon as September '06.

I'll tell you what I won't be singing: any Christmas song ever written. It has been one of my many educational duties to teach my students a Christmas carol that will be performed in front of parents and teachers next week. Every time I hear "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," more hair falls off of my already thinning dome. Why does the Heeb at the school have to teach these? How can anyone possibly stay full of joy and spirit after singing the "Twelve Days of Christmas?" No wonder the suicide rate goes up around the Holidays. Every time I hear a new pop star shit out another version of "Noel," a part of my soul dies. I can handle listening to Old Blue Eyes swing through "Winter Wonder Land," but that's as far as I go. While Mariah Carey's version of "All I Want For Christmas" may not make me slit my wrist, I could become dangerously violent around my students. If you read my last post, you know I don't need much to drive me towards child abuse. While I try to push "Oh, Hanukkah" on my kids, it just doesn't seem to stick.
BAHUMBUG!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home