dbrick in the cut

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Resisting Temptations

I gave myself a big challenge last month, but chose not to talk about it because I didn't want to ruin it. It's kinda like when a pitcher has a no hitter in the works, you just don't say anything. As the month passed slowly, depriving myself of such a great pleasure began to irritate me. I was crabby, quick to snap, and easily irritable. Such entries as "Let Them Cry" illustrate my frustration and loss of cool during this streak of deprivation. For a whole month I side-stepped constant temptation in order to purify myself. This was a true test of will power, especially when I was home alone with just my imagination and memory. I would think of past experiences and want to give in to the pressure, but I had to prove to myself that I could resist temptation.
Not eating fried chicken for a month will do this to people. I'm happy to say that I made it through the month without a slip, though technicalities may prove that wrong. I chose to classify fried chicken as chicken on the bone and deep fried. Nuggets from Burger King don't count, and I only had them once anyway. For those of you thinking that this is no major feat, try moving to Korea with my eating habits and limited options of non-Korean food in your neighborhood. On top of that, try working in a place that has more fried chicken spots in a one block radius than in all of Mississippi, Alabama, and the Carolinas combined. The area around my school is more littered with chicken than the DMZ is with land mines. Analogies aside, I see fried chicken everywhere. All month it was calling me: "Davey, come eat me. My skin is so crispy and meat is so juicy. I want to be in your mouth." Not an easy task. I broke the streak the other day on my break and was thoroughly disappointed. A friend had been talking about a place for a while, so we decided to give it a go. The seasoning was off, and the meat was dry. I'll wait till my birthday to get some more. This time I'll go with what I know and find the satisfaction that has been missing for so long.

Speaking of chicken, my sweetie arrives tomorrow night. I've cleaned the place and myself; now it's just a waiting game until tomorrow night. I'm a little upset that I'll have to work while she's here, but I did manage to get a few classes off that will free me up till 6:30 on Tuesday and Thursday (I finish at 9:30). It's going to be a real pleasure having someone here to see how I've been living. I've been more observant of the little things that my daily life entails and can't wait to see how someone else reacts to the differences. I'll try to keep you posted.

If you were wondering, my birthday is Tuesday, November 8th and I will be accepting gifts and personal greetings from now until a week after that date. Just send all large amounts of cash to my paypal account. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home