dbrick in the cut

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Still Hot

The heat wars continue. I think I know why these people turn the heat so high. I've had roommates who have done this before. They come into a cold house and think that they can warm things up quicker if they blast the heat. What they don't realize is that the technology on heating systems is advanced enough to blast themselves until they reach the desired temperature and then sustain that temperature by turning itself on and off accordingly. Setting a thermostat to 85 degrees won't really heat things faster than setting it to a reasonable 71 degrees if it is 60 degrees in the house to begin with. I know that is hard for some people to understand, and will be even harder for me to explain in Korean, so I will just spend the winter in my tropical paradise. I could also be wrong and these freaks could actually enjoy draining every amount of fluid from their bodies while sleeping.

I played my first gig in Korea which was fun. I even was able to do a little stand-up while the guitarist struggled to tune his guitar mid-set. He never was able to actually tune it, so we had to skip our last two songs. This was a first for me. I won't go too far into this because I don't want to offend anyone who can't tune a guitar, but I'll just say that I miss playing funk music in the Bay. I really like the guys I'm playing with, but it's not really my style. Oh well, I'm still having fun with it and will continue to do so. After we finished our set, the manager of the club had us sit at a private table and wait for a while. The other folks in the band were shaking in their boots at what might happen. The anticipation, fear, and embarrassment was intense, and we were all ready for a heated conversation. But the fear quickly subsided when the owner of the club showed up with a bottle of tequila and six shot glasses. He loved the show. I actually felt like a real "rock and roller" sitting in the VIP section drinking a free bottle of tequila and chatting it up with the "high profile" people of the club. The only thing missing was a group of dirty girls waiting to do naughty things to us.

I had to call it an early night after the show because I had to work on Saturday. My Elite students had a seminar in the Marriott Hotel. They wrote their own speeches about well-being and made power point presentations. It was quite impressive watching these kids recite a five minute speech in English and use words that most kids their age in the states would not even know. These kids are smart, but their information was completely inaccurate at times. One kid claimed that people in America don't say "well-being" but actually say "LOHAS," which means lifestyle of health and sustainability. I don't know about any of you from the states, but I have never heard this and wouldn't say it even if I had. I wasn't about to tell this kid that though. I was awarded at the seminar with a bouquet of flowers from one of the mothers and was thanked by a few other parents. That was really nice. I don't know whose mother gave me the flowers, but her son or daughter must really like me. Go figure. Now, they are sitting in a Guinness pint glass atop my breakfast table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home