dbrick in the cut

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Chips and Bedding

My apologies for the irregularity of my entries. I have no excuse other than my sheer laziness.

I was watching a commercial on AFN (Armed Forces Network) with Quiet Roit talking about something, I really wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. What I was paying attention to was the music in the background. It was "We're Not Gonna Take It." Whether you are or were a glam-rock enthusiast or just alive during the eighties, you'll know that Twisted Sister sang "We're Not Gonna Take It." While this really sparked a chuckle in me, it also exposed what we have been witnessing throughout the last few years, a general lack of attention to detail by the powers that be. You'd think with the amount of intelligence available, someone could do a little research find some Quiet Riot tunes. "Cum on Feel the Noise" and "Bang Your Head" aren't exactly obscure eighties rock anthems. You can bet that AFN will be receiving a letter from me in the near future. If I can't trust their ads, then how can I trust their army?

This is shaping up to be one of the best days in the last few weeks. I've spent the last week battling with an unknown enemy in my apartment complex. This skid mark has been blasting the heat in my apartment every morning turning my room into a sauna. I usually wake up between eleven and noon to a floor on which you could cook an egg, and walk out my door to find my thermostat turned up to 25 Celsius. It feels more like 30, which translates to roughly 90 degrees Fahrenheit. 25c is around 80f. This all spells HOT. Anyway, I'm working out that problem through my school and landlord and it should be sorted soon...hopefully. Things started turning around today when I went to the supermarket. I was simply looking for a little salt and pepper that are rarely used here and ended up finding tortilla chips, a virtually impossible thing to find in Korea. Since buying some frozen guacamole at Costco the other week, I have yet to be able to use it properly without any chips. Now, I can have a proper Mexican fiesta in the comfort of my own home. While the whole chip thing really lifted my spirits, getting new bedding in the mail sent me sky high. One of the Korean teachers here helped my buy some cheap bedding online and it just arrived. Nevermind the fact that it may be the ugliest color known to man, it is sure to bed ten times more comfortable than what I was using. I had been sleeping on top of a dust ruffle that surely hadn't been washed in years. I would have washed it, but since I don't have a dryer, it would take too long to dry. Sleeping on my mattress without a protective sheet was not an option.
So, now I'm equipped with new sheets and chips. I won't have to leave the place for a while, but I will not be eating my chips in bed. And yes, I would kick myself out of bed for doing that.

NOTE: For those of you who think I misspelled "cum" in the Quiet Riot song title, I did not. They are the perverted bastards who chose to use that spelling.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly entertaining stuff man! Especially about the AFN attention to detail. No one really gives a shit anymore

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that there is a fiesta party in Korea.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you say Costco? In Seoul? What the hell...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home