dbrick in the cut

Monday, March 20, 2006

Super Freak

I'm getting used to sitting in a classroom with a bunch of Korean kids, and it takes a lot to surprise me or throw me off while I'm teaching. While motoring through a lesson with my class of half-wits, I heard one of the funniest things ever. It had just gotten quiet as the kids were completing a page in their workbooks when I heard, "She's a very kinky girl." For those of you familiar with Rick James, you may recognize those lyrics from his hit, Super Freak. You can bet that this eleven year old Korean kid was singing it too. After class, he pulled me aside to hum the signature bass line of the tune--also sampled on MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This. I still can't get over the fact that he knows the tune, and the fact that he chose to sing it in the middle of class is amazing. He's my new favorite student.

I saw the gay cowboy movie yesterday. I haven't been in the states to hear all the hype, but I don't think it measures up to what I have heard. It's a good movie, but it could have been cut short by about a half hour to forty-five minutes. Is it just me or does every movie seem to go on for over two hours these days? What ever happened to the art of editing?

What's in the rotation?

Love and Happiness- Monty Alexander and Ernest Ranglin This is a tune that a good friend put on a mix tape a bunch of years ago that I finally found on Soulseek (a great place to find rare music, my ID is dbrick405). This is an amazing instrumental of one of Al Green's greatest tunes. Great Fender Rhodes work from Alexander complimented by Ranglin's brilliant solos on the guitar.

Vivre- Zap Mama Off the album 'Ancestry In Progress,' it comes in strong with great energy that maintains till the end. I've been listening to this because it's something I'd play if I ever start DJing here. Some people might compare Zap Mama to Les Nubians just because some of the lyrics are in French, but Zap has a vibe all her own that shows throughout this album. The tunes with ?uestlove on drums are especially strong.

De Alegria Rajou O Dia- Carlos Dafe Yet another tune introduced to me through a mix from a friend. This is one that I'll never skip when I'm shuffling through songs on my iPod. Seu Jorge does a version of it on his album, Carolina, but I prefer the Carlos Dafe version. The drums that start the song drive the tune.

Get On The Ground- Arthur Adams I just found this one on Soulseek too. It's a tune that my band in the Bay plays. It's a real funky little number, but after listening to it a few times--both the original and my band's version--I think my band may play it a little more funky than the original...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home