dbrick in the cut

Friday, April 21, 2006

Kobe

A big thanks to the Metropolitician for recommending my blog to his readers. Those of you that have come here from his site will soon learn that I won't ever live up to his compliments. You'll notice that there's a consistent theme of weird bodily functions and frustration with my time here in Korea. Take my last post. Who wants to read my bitching about my job? That's no fun. I don't really like listening to other people talk about their jobs, so why do you want to read about mine?
I blame my last post, though, partly on the Metropolitician. I'm completely flattered and grateful that he took the time to direct attention to this website, but that also put pressure on me to write something new. Problem was, I had nothing to say two days ago. What is even worse is that I had just finished a long and frustrating day at school. A bad mood plus forced writing equals a crap post. I became every person that bothers me when they bitch about work. I do, however, think cultural differences in education is an interesting topic. It would just be more interesting in a different, more positive context. So I'm sorry for my negativity, and I'll try not to write when I'm in a bad mood.

While copying some stuff mid-class, my boss pulled me aside for a quick chat about beef. He's taking all of the faculty out for dinner tomorrow night and made a special point to tell me about the quality of the beef at the restaurant where we're going. He's a talker. I don't know how we got to this point in our conversation, but, apparently, Kobe Bryant's father named him Kobe because of the quality of kobe beef. He wanted his son to have a strong name that meant he was the best of the best. The beef at the restaurant isn't quite as good as kobe beef, and it probably isn't even as good at being meat as Kobe Bryant is at being a basketball player. All I know is that my boss couldn't stop telling me, a guy who has never eaten beef or pork, about how good it was going to be tomorrow night. Ten minutes after some beefy conversation, I reminded him that I was leaving students unsupervised in a classroom, and I don't eat beef. That didn't really stop him from making sure I knew how good the meat will be tomorrow night. It's going to be epic. All I'm going to think about while my coworkers are eating beef is how good Kobe Bryant is at basketball.

Rotating:

Mentira- Marcos Valle If you're into groovy Brazilian music, this is great stuff.

Ron's Tune- L.A. Carnival I love the horn melody on this song. It starts with almost a bossa feel but moves into a wild jam that's strong till the end.

All Night Long- The Mary Jane Girls It's playing while I write this. I like the vocal style that they had, and with production from Rick James, it's nice and funky.

Got 'Til It's Gone- Janet Jackson Yeah, that's right. I've been listening to Janet. You got a problem with that? This has nothing to do with any Korean influence of crap pop music and everything to do with the fact that it's a good tune. The sample is nice, the groove is set up so well, and Q-tip flows nicely over it all.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can't get over the fact that Gerry brought you in a box of KFC to eat at the really posh, expensive beef restaurant. No-one batted an eyelid! Only in Korea mate.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger The Metropolitician said...

So how the heck was the beef?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home