dbrick in the cut

Monday, June 26, 2006

A Bad Streak

I haven't had any hot water or internet for the past few days. Apparently, there have been some problems with the boiler in my building and I've been suffering because of it. What boggles my mind is that the boiler is somehow connect to the internet. There have been several halfway successful attempts to fix the two, but every time the hot water disappears, the internet goes with it. They're both back on now, but I don't know for how long. The fact that the boiler and internet could be connected is just another reason for me to believe that this country is completely fucked in the head.

Cold showers and no access to the information super-highway made me a grumpy man, especially when the Royals have won 6 out of 7 and 8 out of their last 11 (I subscribe to the MLB package where I can watch every game live on my PC). Staying up till seven in the morning Saturday to watch a disappointing ending to the Korean's World Cup only contributed to my fowl mood. It was absolutely amazing to see 700,000 people wrapped up in the hype gather in the middle of Seoul to cheer on their team. Too bad they didn't even create a decent chance all game. Of course, in typical Korean fashion, my students are claiming that the Swiss team didn't play fair and, thus, don't deserve the win. I digress. Already grumpy, I made my way to the market to get a phone card to call my special lady friend on her birthday. I wasn't happy to pay for a ten dollar card that would only give me an hour of conversation when I can get ten hours of talk time for the same price, but I had no choice as my internet was out of commission. When I got home to use the card, the automated voice on the other end of the receiver told me my card number was invalid. Not cool. I rushed back to the store and gave the clerk and ear-full of English he surely didn't understand. He handled my outburst rather well and pointed to the service number on the card. I thanked him and walked back home to give the company a call. The way my luck was working, there was no way that the operator would speak English, and he didn't. He told me to call back the next day. I tried to explain that tomorrow didn't work for me, but I knew I was out of my element. So I went to another store to get another ten dollar phone card that worked. The problem was, I overlooked a major detail in this whole process.
I rarely look at calendars and often depend on my instincts for the date. I was convinced that Saturday was the 25th. No doubt. As everyone in the world now knows, Saturday was the 24th. When I finally got in touch with my lady friend, my 'happy birthday' was met with a 'thanks, but today isn't my birthday.' I'm such an idiot.

As if this all wasn't enough for me to slit my wrists, I got another surprise this morning. Hot water and internet returned yesterday and I was convinced they were here to stay. When I was trimming my hair this morning, I didn't think to check if the boiler was working. With hair that isn't normally attached to my shoulders covering them, I had already committed myself to the shower. Of course, I was in for another cold one. I braced myself and tried to take it like a man, but I screamed like a little girl when the water hit me.

I'm looking for some better luck.


Rotating:

El Sol - Zwan

Passing By - Zero 7

Common Ends - The Rebirth

Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter - Nikka Costa I like the original by Nina Simone too, but Ms. Costa's cover has a great, lively arrangement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home