dbrick in the cut

Friday, June 09, 2006

Still Here

I've started writing a few blogs in the past couple weeks, but haven't been able to focus for long enough to complete something worth publishing. For those of you who have consistently read this blog, you'll understand just how bad my recent writing attempts must have been. It's taken me a half hour just to write this sentence, but I'm going to try to push on through.

It's been a good couple weeks. The folks were here last week for a short and sweet visit, and it was nice to see a fresh perspective on Korea. They seemed to enjoy it here and their appreciation of the country helped me look at things a little more positively. This doesn't mean I want to stay any longer though. As I've said before, I really like Korea. I've enjoyed my time here and would've considered staying longer if I didn't have any attachments back home. I do have attachments though, and nothing in Korea can take the place of what's at home. So that's that.

Living in the states my whole life, I haven't really had the opportunity to enjoy the magic of the World Cup. Americans just don't watch soccer. Anyhoo, I've become a bigger soccer fan and entered a pool at work. 2000 won per team. Since there are a good number of people at work, most only got one random pick. I got South Korea. They finished fourth last time, but will not do it again, so I can just throw that 2000 won away. Unexpectedly, during one of my classes, I was summoned into the hallway for a second pick I had requested earlier in the day. Three teams were left. I didn't know who, but I had a feeling the odds favorite were still there. I blew in my hands and grabbed number 20. And the team was...Brazil! As long as they finish in the top three, I'm guaranteed to get my money back and then some. Since I was one of three people to get two picks at school, I've made a few enemies, but I don't really care as long as I get paid. Having Korea as my other pick helps ease the pain they all must feel. I love the pride they have in their country. At any point in the day you can see on TV a) Korea v. Turkey in the last World Cup, b) Korean speed skating from this year's Olympics, or c) Korea in the World Baseball Classic. They don't forget.

Rotating:

I Can Dig It Baby- Little Beaver

Supernatural Thing- Ben E. King

Lady Day and John Coltrane- Gil Scott-Heron

Concrete Reservation- Syl Johnson

1 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave, you're awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home