dbrick in the cut

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Close Quarters

Before I left for Korea, a friend told me that being in Asia is like being on Mars. While I highly doubt that this person has ever been to the Red Planet (I sure haven`t), I do feel like I`m on another planet. I`m in Osaka, Japan right now and am quite overwhelmed with my surroundings, which is not saying that I don`t like it. This place is a trip. I`m staying in a `capsule`. And when I say capsule, I mean something that resembles the drawers in which dead bodies are kept (the name escapes me). I have a locker on the main floor where I keep all of my personal items, even clothes. When I want to go to bed or to the sauna, I put on a robe that barely covers my groin area and go on my merry way. I`ve always heard about the Japanese and their kooky ways, but experiencing it first hand is a total trip. I have five people either sleeping on top or beside me. I`ll give them this, they sure do make efficient use of their space.
I just wanted to share that. My internet time and patience is running thin right now so I`m going to keep this one short. I just finished a delicious Karaage Ramen and a tall Asahi at a local hole in the wall and am having trouble focusing too. Plus, my fingers have slipped twice now and have changed the language on the keyboard and I don`t know how to change back without closing and opening the window. Patience is a virtue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home