dbrick in the cut

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Kids....

A thirteen year old girl asked me, and I quote, "do you like pussy?" While I could have given her a long and descriptive answer, I choose to tell her that kind of talk was totally inappropriate and changed the subject. I guess I never really considered that Korean youth develop and think much like any other youth around the world. I've always assumed these kids were proper and didn't think about sex and drugs. Sure, I know western kids are into that stuff, I was thirteen once too. But these kids go from school to piano lessons, to English class and then back home to do countless hours of homework. When do they have time to think about sex when they're always preoccupied with an overwhelming pressure to study and achieve. I don't even want to entertain the idea that she was propositioning me. That wasn't the way she asked the question. It was almost as if she wanted to have an in depth and serious conversation about my sexual preferences and activity. It never crossed her mind that it was the complete inappropriate thing to talk about.
The crazy thing is, I used to be that kid. I would have asked (and probably did) my teacher about their sexual activity. I guess all the weird, confusing, and awkward feelings that come with adolescence translate across the globe. What is interesting is that, much like this girl, I wouldn't understand why my teacher would refuse to speak on the subject. Why not talk about sex. When you're that age you want to be ready to talk about adult things. The only problem is that adults don't commonly talk about pussy in similar settings. Hmmmmm. Interesting, huh. The more I think about it, if talking about "pussy" will get these kids to actively start conversations in English, then why not throw them a bone. That is, of course, the point of my being there: to converse in English. I could even introduce her to some friends back in the States that could find her a great place to work where she could talk like that all the time.
Anyhoo, I finally pointed and mimicked my way into getting a power transformer for my place. Finally I'm able to listen to music, use my computer, charge my camera, etc... It was getting pretty depressing in my place with none of those things and fluorescent lights beaming down on me. There's nothing more that can make you look and feel like death than fluorescent lights.
And on that note, I'm out. Till next time campers...

1 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger Goopy Rossi said...

Yo, Dave. She was asking you about CATS! Get yer head out of the gutter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home