dbrick in the cut

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Bo Knows Seoul

It's going to take a while to get used to this place. When I'm not trying to re-hydrate myself from sweating profusely throughout the day, I try motivate myself to explore the city. It's not like I don't want to get to know this place; the heat and difficult language barrier keep me next to the air conditioner in my apartment with a glass of water and my book. I have been around a bit though.
After finishing my first day of teaching, all of the westerners at the school met up for a drink at a local bar. They're all quite lovely people, and if you can't tell by the way the first part of this sentence was written, they're mostly European (Irish, Scottish and British). I had a great time with them as we went to some clubs, but I was exhausted and had to get to leave before the night was over (it was actually 4am, but people stay out till 6 or 7 here).
I've wandered around my neighborhood quite a bit and have ventured on the subway a few times as well. My current roommate and I went to the fashion epicenter of the city and people-watched for a while. We saw a choir of about 25 Koreans signing some religious tunes in the middle of one of the main cross-streets. I never thought Koreans could have so much soul. If I closed my eyes I would have assumed I was in an all black church praising the lord. Not really, but everyone was clapping on right beat in time and they sang like they meant it.
One of the highlights of my stay thus far has been a little girl wearing a brand new "Bo Knows" T-shirt. Now that's a successful ad campaign considering Bo Jackson has been retired for about 15 years. Koreans love wearing shirts with English on them, but I wonder if they have any clue what half of it means. I guess Americans act in similar ways when they get a tattoo with Chinese character on the small of their back. It just looks cool, right?
I have some serious sweating to get back to so I'm going to call it quits now. It's going to take a while for me to adjust, but don't worry, I'll have this city of 12 million people in the palm of my hand in no time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home